Ateneo De Zamboanga Tightens Car Inspections
Ateneo de Zamboanga University president Fr. Ernald Andal said the board of trustees approved resources for enhanced security measures, longer-term improvements and a comprehensive security audit of all its campuses.

ZAMBOANGA CITY – Stricter security measures are expected to greet students, faculty and school personnel of Ateneo de Zamboanga University (AdZU) today, Aug. 24, in response to the deadly school shooting last week.
In a video message on Aug. 22, AdZU president Fr. Ernald Andal said the board of trustees approved resources for enhanced security measures, longer-term improvements and a comprehensive security audit of all its campuses.
These include more thorough vehicle inspections, stricter ID checks, closer monitoring of entry and exit points and tighter visitor access control.
“These procedures may take more time, especially during entry. We ask everyone for patience and cooperation,” Andal said.
He said the AdZU administration is also moving forward with longer-term improvements, which include additional CCTV cameras in classrooms and hallways, strengthened real-time monitoring, additional metal detectors and X-ray machines at designated pedestrian entrances and better visitor reception and holding areas.
Andal said the security audit will help determine where and how these measures can be deployed most effectively and the findings will guide a stronger security plan covering facilities, access control, personnel deployment, technology, emergency preparedness and coordination with law enforcement.
“However, equipment and procedures are only part of the work. What happens at home is just as important as what happens in school. Keeping our students safe also requires close cooperation between the school and families,” the AdZU president said.
“Our goal is to build a system in which our facilities, personnel, procedures, technology, families, and public authorities work together to protect our students and personnel,” he added.
Andal stressed that strengthening safety also requires a clear understanding of the incident itself, and gave assurance of their continued full cooperation with investigators.
“From the first day, we have followed clear procedures for coordinating with the PNP (Philippine National Police) and other government agencies,” he said.
Andal said they have secured and preserved all university records pertaining to the incident.
“We know that confidence will be strengthened by what we do, not only by what we say. There is still much work ahead. We will continue to face it with honesty, with resolve and care for our community. And so may God grant us wisdom and courage in the days ahead,” he noted.
Meanwhile, Mayor Khymer Olaso also said the local government has approved a budget to equip all public schools with scanners and metal detectors – walk-through scanners for big campuses and metal detectors for those with smaller populations.
P802 million for guidance counselors
The government has earmarked P802 million in the proposed 2027 budget to hire 2,021 new guidance counselors for public elementary and high schools nationwide, House minority leader and 4Ps party-list Rep. Marcelino Libanan announced on Sunday, Aug. 23.
“We are all for increased government spending to bolster the support system around every learner. A child who is struggling should have ready access to a trained school professional who can listen and help,” Libanan said.
Libanan said the proposed allocation will fund 1,800 School Counselor Associate I positions and 221 School Division Counselor positions. – With Miriam Desacada















