This website requires JavaScript.

Sara Pitches For Rody’s VP Bid; Diokno Confirms Another Senate Run

Sara Pitches For Rody’s VP Bid; Diokno Confirms Another Senate Run
Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio and Human rights lawyer Chel Diokno

Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio urged Filipinos to rally behind her father, President Duterte, who earlier accepted the nomination of the ruling PDP-Laban to run for vice president in the May 2022 elections.

In a video message on Wednesday, Sept. 15, Duterte-Carpio maintained that she and her father have an understanding and a clear agreement with regard to their respective political careers.

She earlier pointed out that only one of them should run for national office, which means she will not be seeking the presidency since her father has already decided on sliding down to the vice presidential post in next year’s elections.

Ibigay natin sa kanya ang pinakamalakas natin na suporta sa kanyang desisyon na tumakbong vice president (Let us give him our strongest support in his decision to run for vice president,” she said.

Read More: Sara Rules Out Presidential Run After Rody Accepts PDP-Laban VP Nomination

In her video message, the presidential daughter expressed gratitude to organizations across the country, and even abroad, that have signified their support for her should she decide to run for president.

“I’ll never forget what you have done to me,” she said, noting that the support she has been getting is not something given to all politicians.

The presidential daughter also called for unity amid the pandemic, saying that the hope for a bright future for the country lies in the hands of each Filipino.

“Ang dilim ng pandemya at dilim na ating nararamdaman ngayon ay maaari nating tulakin papalayo kung magkaisa po tayo sa pagtulong sa ating komunidad. (The darkness of the pandemic and the darkness we feel now can be pushed away if we unite to help each other in our communities),” she said.

Sana ay ituloy natin ang pagtulong sa ating mga kababayan, kahit hindi para sa kandidatura o eleksiyon(I hope we continue to help each other, not for candidacy or for the election),” she added.

Another Senate bid for Diokno

Meanwhile, human rights lawyer Chel Diokno has confirmed his plan to again run for senator in next year’s elections.

“I have decided that I will be running for Senate,” Diokno, who ran under the opposition slate Otso Diretso in the 2019 midterm elections, told “The Chiefs” on Cignal TV’s One News on Tuesday night, Sept. 14.

“I am an independent. I have not joined, allied or affiliated with any particular political party. It may happen, but at this point I’m determined to remain independent,” he added.

Diokno, the son of late human rights icon and former senator Jose “Ka Pepe” Diokno, said he supports the initiative of political coalition 1Sambayan to come up with a unified opposition slate to run against the administration candidates.

He was previously identified by the group as among the six nominees for president or vice president, along with Vice President Leni Robredo, Sen. Grace Poe, former senator Antonio Trillanes IV, CIBAC Party-List Rep. Eddie Villanueva and Batangas Rep. Vilma Santos-Recto.

Read More: 1Sambayan List Down To Leni, Sonny But Talks With Isko Ongoing

 The human rights lawyer was also previously named by Liberal Party vice president for internal affairs Teddy Baguilat as among the possible senatorial candidates whom they will support next year.

During the interview, Diokno said he had a lot takeaways from the previous elections, describing it as a “challenging journey.”

“I had two years to think about it and to plan how to wage a better campaign. During this time, a lot has changed,” he said.

“The political landscape has changed, we have seen how important it is to have a good message and really take advantage of the social media platforms that are out there,” he added, noting that local officials back then were hesitant to support the opposition given that President Duterte still has three years in office.

The shift to social media, he added, somehow leveled the playing field for those who do not have the resources to buy airtime.

“The other thing that has changed as well is that more and more people are willing to voice out about what’s happening in the government,” he added.

Asked for his platform, Diokno said he would still carry his advocacy to promote justice and human rights.

But aside from this, he noted other immediate matters that must be addressed by government because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We have issues concerning the delivery of health services to our people. We have issues concerning the MSMEs (micro, small and medium enterprises) that have been neglected by this administration,” he said.

“We need to return to face-to-face schooling as soon as we can in a safe way. That can only happen if we reach herd immunity,” he added.

Diokno is the former dean of the De La Salle College of Law. He is also the chairperson of the Free Legal Assistance Group, an organization of human rights lawyers established during the martial law. He ran under the opposition coalition and lost in the 2019 elections.